Welcome to the XCFL

Start your virtual Coaching career in the best damn Madden league around!
We are MORE then just another Franchise. We are MORE then a content based league.
We are a Community and a Family of like minded ballers.
Are You Ready to Join?

By Sountouchble on Oct 30, 2017 at 3:59 PM
  1. Sountouchble

Sountouchble Legend
    Legend Donor

Reputations:
    upload_2017-10-30_15-58-46.png

Deshaun Watson arrives to New Orleans and the Saints stand behind their decision to trade for him.

Deshaun Watson arrived in New Orleans to meet with the media. The Saints continued to back their decision to trade for him, giving up twenty-four-year-old tackle Ryan Ramczyk and twenty-two-year-old defensive back Marshon Lattimore. Watson had his press conference with his family near, standing confidently at the table.

Watson had settled well into the Texans way and knows the work that needs to be done here in New Orleans.

“I think that is the best way, learn from the veteran guys, Drew Brees, Wow! I can’t believe I’m on the same team as him, “Watson said of getting to work with the Saints. “I understand I’m being pressed into an immediate starting role here and possibly replacing a Hall of Famer in Brees, but my focus is getting the system, learning about this great city, learning about this organization. It is being the best teammate I can be, whatever role that is, and enjoy that.”

The Saints like what Watson brought when he arrived during his combine in the spring of 2017 and how he interacted with others. His overall presence around the combine was impressive.

“Just starting with the day one here, the players just brought me in, they stayed late after practice just to greet me,” Watson said. “I feel like I was already on the team. I felt comfortable with the situation. I had a great talk with Coach Baptiste, and everything fit right.”

Stanley Baptiste liked how Watson carried himself in Watson’s phone call when he heard he was being traded here. He also liked how he handled certain football questions as they threw some football things at him, Watson’s ability to retain information with plays and board work during the combine interviews, one of the traits Baptiste values with the quarterback position.

“For still a young man to come in, a bonafide proven #1 draft prospect, MVP star, in here and stand up in front of nine guys in the room,” Baptiste said of Watson’s meeting with Saints, “offensive line coach, quarterbacks coach, head couach, and one of the things that impressed us the most is (his ability) to retain information with poise. We know what he can do as he proved it in his last season’s MVP award. We do several different things with our conversations with quarterbacks. He handled all of it well. That impressed us.”

Questions were raised about Watson’s physical traits during the combine, especially his arm strength, throwing just under 50 mph at the XCFL Combine. Watson put a stop to that last season.

“I went to the National Championship game and I watched him play against a pretty good defense,” Pruitt said of Watson’s NCAA play two seasons ago. “I saw him make all the throws necessary with all the velocity at the specific times when he needed to put on the ball. I think he has enough athleticism to play in our offense in this league and we feel pretty good about that.”

Pruitt as we all know was the defensive coordinator Watson beat up on during the National Championship. Maybe now having Watson on the same team, Watson could shed some light on what’s the weaknesses of this defense.

Watson knows this is just the beginning of his journey with the Saints and is aware of what it is going to take for him to be successful at this level. He’s shown the success already and to do it with another team is saying a lot. We don’t see such caliber of quarterbacks being traded after their rookie year, especially a successful rookie season.

“I think film study is the big key of being a great quarterback,” Watson explained. “Preparation and being able to handle that and being able to be detailed with your work is key. I still have a lot to learn and look forward to working with Brees in my ongoing learning.”

Watson has no regrets of leaving Houston but would like to thank their organization for drafting him and giving him, his dream come true. He also went on to say thanks to Coach Boone and his patients. He will forever be grateful for everyone who is involved with the Texans.

“I’m a Saint now and look forward to spending many years here in this fine city” said Watson.

steelerguy26, NLars3 and Coach Boone like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Team News' started by Sountouchble, Oct 30, 2017.